Thursday, May 24, 2007

bearfoot pics

The mountain colors bearfoot socks are done:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and up close on the leg section:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and the other sock:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No, they're not exactly the same but most people will never see the tops of my socks, and those who do probably would not notice the differences.
I was bored with stockinette and decided to play around with monkey patt variations. I think I'll use the official Monkey [link] top down charted pattern when I knit monkey but start at the toe. It's not an official KAL at knit nite but Joy and Angeluna were both knitting monkeys and I'm feeling left out. I'm going to try to finish up a coupla' projects before I start my monkeys but the call is strong.

Just for the record, the yarn is Mountain Colors Bearfoot in the Larkspur color. The rated yarn quantity was 350 yards / 100 grams. My skein was 110.5 grams and I have 30.5 grams left. So I used about 80 grams for this pair. I have another generous bit of leftover bearfoot so I may stripe the two together for another pair of socks. I may not have quite enough so I may have to beg/borrow someone else's leftovers. Or buy another skein sometime.

The sock was knit toe-up using Judy's magic cast-on from knitty [link] which is my current fav. Who knows where my notes are for these socks (they started as vacation knitting), so I'll guess that I did my standard toe increases (faster at first then normal then slower) to probably 48 or 50 or 52, though 48 sticks in my head and these are some snug snug socks. Then there were a few gusset increases and they finished the leg at 56 with about two knuckles of k2p2 rib (doesn't everybody measure rib by the knuckle?). For those who measure with a ruler, it's about two inches.

The heel is an afterthought, over more than half of the stitches, with my new favorite decrease (that I also use for toes if I knit top downs). Basically, it is centered on each side of the heel, and I do k2tog on (both sides of) one row and ssk (on both sides) of the next row, at infinitum, until it is enough, that is, until it fits my heel. With a double decrease or two at the end. I will put together a post later with pics hopefully, featuring this decrease. I need to be using some lighter yarn that will show up better.

The maple man wants fish tacos (we're going out on a Thursday??) so I have to close for now so,
more later,
j

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeri, I looked carefully at my Monkeys in both directions, and since you have sort of interlocking "y's", one of the y columns is always going up and one goes down, no matter which way you turn it. The only difference would be in where the reverse stockinette wedges fall, and IMHO, the pattern is correct in either direction. So go toe up. I'm working the gusset on sock 1. Going to need to piece ribbing and toes out in another yarn, I can tell.

5/25/2007 5:38 PM

 
Blogger AR said...

I like your socks! If anyone is close enough to notice they are not exact matches, they need to back up. LOL

5/26/2007 4:59 PM

 
Blogger Sheknits said...

These socks look great- thanks for the sock advice- people that are sock lovers are just so...so....loving of socks. I am now going to look at all your sock goodness around your blog!

5/27/2007 11:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri:

I got both of your comments and forwarded the one off to spindle and wheel.

Thanks for your kind words.

Your blue socks are absolutely gorgeous! I know that there's small differences, but unless I knit both socks at the same time, I make some modification or another that doesn't show up in the other sock. No one notices. :)

I'll have to come back and look at the sock goodness often.

Later,

5/27/2007 4:39 PM

 
Anonymous Concrete Contractors Tallahassee said...

Thank you ffor being you

11/17/2022 3:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home