Wednesday, June 13, 2007

pattern warnings

Warning 1:
I checked out some knitting books from the library last night. Mostly basic books to have some suggestions for my prospective students. One of the books was Knitting
by Jennifer Worick in the Getting Started series [Amazon link]

The sweater on the cover is their Go-To pullover, a basic turtleneck raglan pullover knit in the round, bottom up. In the picture, that turtleneck looks awfully small. And it is. It's 13 1/4 inches around.

Now I know 34" is a small sweater size, but a woman or girl who wears a 34" sweater may not be able to get a sweater with a 13 inch neckline over her head. Consider yourself warned.



Warning 2:

There is a cute basic v-neck pullover in the latest knitpicks catalog that they call the Plain Vanilla pullover [knitpicks link]. The yarn they call for is their DK weight cotton yarn called Crayon. It is 128 yards per 50 gram ball and some of the colors are on sale just now for $1.59, so it's very reasonably priced.

The problem that I see is that the small size (36") calls for 5 balls of yarn. That is 640 yards of yarn and I really really don't think that is enough yarn for a adult long sleeve pullover, even a small woman's size. My best judgement says it will take at least 7 balls, if not 8.

I emailed knitpicks about my concern. They say their model was knitted in the men's small size (38.5") with the 7 balls specified and the yarn requirements for the other sizes were mathematically calculated.

I say, way back when, I was a math major. Don't say you haven't been warned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aisling said...

its been calculted but not test knitted ?!

6/13/2007 10:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fit size 32" and I just measured my head, which is average sized. I get 21.5" so hopefully there would be a lot of stretch in the ribbing of that turtleneck to go over my head. ;)

I might have to defend the 6 skeins for a small pullover. I'm currently working on the Jemima sweater and it calls for 6 skeins of Rowan Cashsoft DK. They're probably right. I used less than 2 skeins for the back. I was pleasantly surprised b/c I had my doubts that that's all the yarn I'd need.

6/14/2007 1:37 AM

 
Blogger AR said...

I'd definitely trust the math major! I always worry about not having enough yarn for a pattern.

6/14/2007 7:44 AM

 
Blogger Jeri said...

jen, I don't have any way to contact you but I sure hope you have enough yarn. And I'd love to hear your results when your sweater is finished.

The kp sweater called for 5 balls of yarn. For a 36" size.

It's the featured project in this week's email. They can't say I didn't warn them.

6/16/2007 4:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri,

I've finished the back and front and about a 3rd of a sleeve. I had about half a sleeve and realized I'd mucked it up and had to frog a few inches. I think I'll have used 4 skeins by time I finish the sleeve. The truth is I have 9 balls of this yarn (it was intended originally for a cabled sweater), so I'm not worried if I go over 6 skeins, but so far I think I'll actually only use 6. I'll be as amazed as you are.

6/17/2007 7:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home