Tuesday, March 27, 2007

brown socks

These socks have been on the needles for about a year probably. I can’t be certain when I started them, but it was pre-blog. I must have gotten distracted by some new yarn or new pattern or who knows why they've been hibernating.

They’re being knitted for dh and have been on the ufo list since the first of ’07 when I started tracking projects. I have resolved to knit them monogamously and finish them. Completion is projected for sometime this week but that depends on how much evening knitting time I get this week. Both are past the heel turn (flap and gusset) and I am projecting the foot will knit round and round quickly. Of course, his feet are a bit longer than mine so knitting may take some longer.

The yarn is wool gatto, a wool yarn a bit thicker than sock yarn from back when I was searching for thicker sock yarn for socks for dh because he likes thick socks. The problem is, I think the thicker socks I’ve been making for him are a touch too thick as he is limited with what shoes he can wear his hand knit socks in.


Here is a close-up of his favorite part:

I'm not sure if you can see the texture clearly but he really likes the peaky parts. The pattern is adapted from a free sweater pattern. I'll try to look it up and post a link later this week.

more later, It's knit night tonight and I'm off to see my Sisters of the Wool.

j

p.s. The socks are posing on a japanese maple named Chiba. Looks like a bush to me. But what do I know?




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great Knit Night! Greetings to the SsOW.

Now, that's a thought. One reason I gave up on the idea of knitting a gansey sweater was the firmness of gauge required to get the purl-patterns to stand out properly. A whole sweater's worth of tight stitches doesn't sound fun to my hands. But gansey *socks*. . . . kinda firm anyway, and MUCH smaller. . . Ah ha!

3/27/2007 7:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very handsome indeed. Since I got to see them tonight, I can assure everyone that the are pretty gorgeous.

Do you find that this yarn reduces the thickness of the sock to where DH can fit them into more shoes? What was the color range?

3/27/2007 11:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home