Friday, July 21, 2006

Beaufort

Beaufort by Knititude is a pattern that has fascinated me for a week or two. Other projects were on the needles and I try not to start too many things at once. Oh, who are we kidding? I try not to start more than two when I finish one. Someday, when I think I can stand it, I'll do an "in-process" line-up.

Back to Beaufort, what make it swirl? Reading the pattern, whispering the pattern, as JF would say, I couldn't tell. Maybe there was something left out? You know, many free knitting on the 'net should be approached cautiously. JF also sometimes says "you get what you pay for" and she's been paying for her patterns recently.

I considered emailing knititude and asking about the swirl but decided knitting the pattern would prove it or give me something to work with to figure it out. There are YOs and k2togs on every row and the pattern is written for knitting in the round so a flat swatch would never do. I've been picking up and putting away some yarn recently as mom is here for a visit. How does the yarn get into so many rooms anyway? But I digress. I came across a ball of Bernat cottontots that would be good for a baby hat, and had no designated project

so cast on I did. Yesterday. And here we have Beaufort. And swirl it does. Why does it swirl? I don't know. I think it has something to do with the unbalanced YOs. Within a repeat the YOs are near the start and the k2togs are near the end.

I like the swirls and I like the scallops.
What else will we do with this pattern? Watch this space...

Details:
Yarn Pink Cottontots
needle 16 inch circ Inox 7US
5US dpns for the crown decreases
I knit the pattern as written, in the smallest size (CO60), without the ribbing. I added one set-up row of P3, K9 all the way around, once.

I think it's newborn size but will have to find out from someone who has one. [A2, will you and the little one be at knit night this week?]


more later,
j

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri,

Your hat looks great! I wasn't ignoring your question on why Beaufort swirls; in fact I've given that some thought myself, and also wondered why Beaufort didn't swirl one way, and Maple Seed the other (since the decreases go in different directions)--anyway, I think I figured it out, so look for a post with diagrams in the near future!

7/22/2006 10:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that is beautiful. No, we won't be there this week, but next.

-ais

7/22/2006 11:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home