Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Socks that rock

I could have titled this post "that darn camera" again because "that darn camera" is hiding from me. I'm sure none of you ever lose anything in your houses but it's happening around here with greater frequency. Last week my Mason-Dixon knitting book was "lost" but now it's found. [It was in the tote bag that I carted to my sister's a week ago.] Now the camera is missing. Yesterday my red birks, that I wanted to wear on the 4th went missing but dh found them. In the laundry room. Who in the heck put them in there? Go figure.

So we'll show a recent FO that has pictures.



The yarn is Socks that Rock heavyweight in the sandstone color. I knit them with US2.5 bamboo dpns.


The pattern is Cat Bordhi's Gingko socks. One of her new sock architectures.






And an in-process picture. Now this construction may look a bit odd to some of you. For two reasons. You are seeing a provisional cast-on just above the toe level because the pattern is written toe-up and I didn't have much toe-up experience and I wasn't sure how this new-fashioned gusset was going to fit me so I started with a row of some leftover Regia 6 the knit a few rows of socks that rock then did Cat's new-fashioned gusset. Look closely. You'll see none of normal gusset decreases.

I do especially like that modified moss stitch at the top.

I'm not so sure about the yarn. STR heavyweight is, well, heavy. It knits up quickly but I am afraid that those bumps in the sole are going to bug me. And I'm not re-knitting the foot with a princess sole. I haven't really worn the socks yet, but I did pull them on for an hour or so at knit night (when I was showing and telling them) because it was a bit too air-conditioned in Starbucks.

I have been fiddling with the picture positions and causing IE errors and lost this post twice now so I'm publishing. (Fortunately I had saved a draft so recovery wasn't so hard.) Please enjoy the pics as they are and imagine that I had a better idea that didn't work out.

More later,
Jeri

3 Comments:

Blogger Eleni said...

Finally, a soul mate of lost objects. I spend more time finding the crap I lose than anything else! Nice socks girlie. Very cool!

7/09/2006 10:25 AM

 
Blogger Larjmarj said...

Nice job on the socks...I've never tried a princess sole. Maybe on my next umpteenth sock project.

7/10/2006 11:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you find your house elf/gremlin/leprechaun or whatever. Obviously collecting your goodies.

7/12/2006 2:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home