Monday, June 19, 2006

Jaywalker sock





Leaving the world of the "sadly blogless" with this post. I set up this blog a month or two ago and did the "this is my first post" and deleted it. The harlot is supposed to be in this area soon and I hope to see her and gracious, if I should be pictured, with a sock, of course, I would hate to be described as "sadly blogless".

So let's start this blog with a sock, a pair of socks, that is. These are my jaywalkers. The pattern is from magknits. The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill Foxy Lady. 100% merino. The yardage is generous, rated at 420 yds/4 oz. I am a yarn weigher; my skein weighed 4 1/8 oz (116 grams). I was sweating it as I knitted and ended up with the smallest amount I've ever had left from a pair o' socks, 16 grams. I knitted on size 0 dpns because of the 76 cast-on. My usual cast-on is abut 56. I knitted this sock top-down, as per the pattern, as I usually do. I did an eye of the partridge heel flap:
















And "my" toe:
It's a new double decrease "stitch" I've invented. I've used it so far for toes and afterthought heels and the jaywalker double decrease and raglan decreases (I'll get a pic of the sweater and post about it another day.) If you've seen this double decrease written up elsewhere, and if it has a name, I'd love to know about it.

Basically, it is a ssk followed by a k2tog where the resulting stitch from the ssk goes back on the left needle and is one of the 2 stitches in the k2tog.

Other departure from the pattern, as written: I decreased the sole of the foot 2 more stitches than specified. And I decreased the pattern at the top of the foot before going into the toe by keeping the decreases but losing the increases for a few rows until the top of the foot stitches matched the sole of the foot stitches.

I like the pattern but I have to be careful and ease it on (and ease it off). dh likes the pattern too but he's a pull the top of the sock guy so he's not getting any jaywalkers.

4 Comments:

Blogger bookgrump said...

Very pretty socks! They look comfy!

6/19/2006 10:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful J! The socks look fantastic and your explanations are very helpful.

6/20/2006 12:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging!

6/20/2006 7:57 AM

 
Blogger Craftybernie said...

Welcome to the blogsphere!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and for mentioning the picture hiccup. Must have deleted them when I was half asleep the other night! Oops!!!

If you need any help hacking your blog (or anything else bloggy for that matter), let me know. I've only been on here since April but I have picked up a few tricks or three.

Remember to write about what you like and most of all have fun!

You may already be a lurker but if not, pop along to Knitters Review when you get a chance at www.knittersreview.com/forum. If nothing else, you will gain a few extra visitors to your blog.

Best wishes...Bernie

6/26/2006 2:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home