Thursday, October 12, 2006

dollar hat

The title does not refer to the cost of the project or the value of the project. Which is far more than a dollar. The dollar refers to measuring parts of the hat. I cast on 80 on size 9s, then knit (on size 8 clover dpns) k2p2 ribbing for one width of a dollar then changed to stockinette and knit to the length of a dollar.

Now I'm working on the decreases. Using 7 decrease markers, which are alternately set 11 and 12 stitches apart, since 80 is not divisible by 7. (Well, the markers were set 12 11 12 11 12 11 11, so they are not perfectly alternate, but it works ) Decreasing every other row with an ssk just after each marker. I'll go down to where the markers are 5 and 6 stitches apart, then decrease the 6's to 5's then on the next row start the decreases every row.

The hat is intended for a homeless person. The yarn is Encore donated for homeless hat knitting by Sympatico Yarns in Bedford.

And dollars are handy for measuring knitting.

Just for the record, koigu makes yummy socks. Yummy to knit and yummy to look at. Knit toe-up to make the most of the yarn without risk of running out as I near the toe. Or making the leg shorter than it has to be so I don't run out. As I near the toe. These are destined for my brother's girlfriend or my mom. Depending on who they fit. They can't be for me because they don't fit my narrow foot. But there's more Koigu in the stash. For me.

more later,
j

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

What a *great* way to measure stuff on those many occasions when my tape measure stays home without me.

Now I just have to remember to always hang onto a dollar bill for this purpose.

[Might be more useful for me to measure in "debit cards", LOL.]

10/13/2006 7:26 PM

 
Blogger AR said...

Great idea! Mmmm-Koigu!

10/17/2006 9:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home