Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy Earth Day

I know, I know, I've been missing in action.

I'm still alive. For a while I was spending too much time at work. Now, I'm spending too much time knitting and spinning. And on ravelry...

In honor of earth day, I'm publishing my first pattern. This is a bag I call my purple bag, but to go with all the green theme and because I usually make such bags green, it's my Green Purple Bag. I intended to put a pdf link here but I'm not exactly sure how to make that happen and I want to get this post up, so I'll place the pic and words here, and come back later and replace it with a pdf.

Green Purple Bag pattern

Photobucket

Yarn: for a big bag, as written below: about 200 yards of cotton or cotton/linen blend yarn
Needles: Size 13us 16 inch circular needle and size 7 (any type)

Handle: Using a provisional cast-on and smaller needle, CO 7 stiches. Knit garter stitch until strap is about 20 to 24 inches, stretched. My handle is 110 rows, 55 ridges. Leave stitches waiting on needle. (Note, when I make my next bag, I’m making the handle about 10 inches long)
Bag: Using larger needle, cast on 70 stitches and join for knitting in the round.
Round 1: Place marker to show the start of each round. K3 stitches then knit the next 7 stitches together with the strap stitches. (This is like a three needle bind off but don’t bind off. ) K28. Remove the provisional cast on and knit the next 7 stitches together with the starting stitches. K25
Round 2: Purl
Round 3: Knit
Round 4: * YO2, K1 Repeat from * until end of round
Round 5: * Drop first YO, knit second YO together with knit stitch. Repeat from * until end of round
Repeat round 4 and round 5 until bag is desired length or about 25 yards of yarn remain.

Decrease rounds:
Round 6: *YO2, K2tog Repeat from * until end of round
Round 7: Drop first YO, knit second YO together with knit stitch.
Repeat round 6 and round 7 one time.

Divide remaining stitches evenly between 2 needles. Do a 3 needle bind off.
Alternatively, cast off stitches and seam the bag bottom.

Note: for a smaller bag, use one ball of yarn, about 100 to 120 yards, and knit until you have about 25 yards left, then do the decrease rounds.
Another option would be to do fewer stitches around. The pattern stitch works for any stitch count.

© jdb 2008
Please use this pattern for personal use only.
Contact Jeri Bisel at soapquiltknit@gmail.com with questions or comments.

p.s. If anyone can share information about how to put a pdf on blogger, it would be great.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger itsjustmeghan said...

Beautiful!!! :)

4/22/2008 12:32 PM

 
Blogger bookgrump said...

Why don't you see if you can put the PDF on Ravelry so that people can add it to their library? :D

Looks great and useful!

4/22/2008 10:43 PM

 
Blogger Shelly Kang said...

Hi, I'm responding to your comment on my blog about the blanket. Yes, the provisional cast-on at the beginning is so that you'll have live stitches with which to apply the i-cord. And the extra stitch between the 15 on each side comes from picking up one stitch from the square in the middle just below the two you're picking up from the sides. Hope that helps!

Shelly

5/16/2008 10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri! You asked about the sock yarn I was using for my kids' blue/green socks. It was Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Fantasy, colorway 4831.
I really like the bag! I'll have to make one now ... after the gift stuff is done. So not quite "now".

5/28/2008 11:10 PM

 
Blogger Teresa Burtner said...

Jeri, nice bag. I am hoping to make one someday.

11/07/2008 1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home