Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sari Silk bag +

A finished project for September. This sari silk bag has been on my UFO list all year. Ever since I’ve been tracking UFOs. It was probably started a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure when because it hales from my pre-blog days.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And a close-up of the handle:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I thought about doing a reverse stockinette i-cord for the handle but the silk has NO give and after a few rows, I knew it wasn’t something I wanted to knit for a handle-length, so that effort went to the frog pond. I settled on this 5 stitch garter handle. I stitched it into a tube along the edges so it’s like a mock i-cord. I knitted in an extra strand of a fingering weight plum color wool/cotton in the handle.

Just for the record:
Yarn: Sari Silk 1.2 skeins 234 grams
Needles: blue straights, size 8 and size 5 (one of each)
size 7 dpns for the handle
Pattern: my own based on short row wedges

The bag may get a lining. At some time, to be determined, later. If I decide it needs one. But for now, I am declaring it done.
.

And these are oak galls.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I understand that they are a good source of tannic acid for natural dyeing. But I have no idea what to do now that I’ve picked a grande (why or why can’t they call it large? Or extra-large. When I order, I ask for large. They always know what I’m talking about. But I digress…) cup full. Suggestions and instructions welcome.

Stay tuned for an update on the maple man's sweater tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger bookgrump said...

Your bag is really pretty! Congrats on finishing it.

I have no idea what to do with the oak galls. I don't even know what they are! (Not very helpful, am I?)

9/29/2007 8:32 PM

 
Blogger Carrie said...

I love your silk bag! Great colors. I don't know what to do about the oak galls, but I'm going to stay tuned to see what you do!

9/30/2007 9:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home