Saturday, September 01, 2007

Irish Moss at one month

Originally uploaded by soapquiltknit
Well, technically, four weeks as I started on Saturday, August 4.
Both sleeves are on hold pending the baste-y try on time that will come later. They each consumed almost two balls of yarn, and need a saddle which will come later, after I finetune the sleeve length.

I am knitting with ball 5 (35 grams remaining. I just completed row 18 (of 23) of the lower front ribbing, which is complicated by integrated chart A cables. The knitting on the ribbing is going slow. There are 167 stitches per row.

I had to do some re-calculations on the front because my gauge differs from Alice's. I may have mentioned that my first gauge swatch matched the pattern gauge but I didn't like the fabric at that gauge. I feared it was too "loose" for a sweater and probably too likely to get droopy sag-itis. I ended up adding a C/E chart and corresponding A chart to each side, and some extra moss stitches. This required recalculating the increases that I will do on the first row after the ribbing. As written, the ribbing flows into the cables with the increases providing just the right amount of extra stitches to make the cables flow on up smoothly. I hope my as modified plans do the same.


Post a Comment

<< Home