Monday, August 20, 2007

How much yarn?

Some early-in-the-sweater musings on how much yarn it will take to knit Irish Moss. I'll follow-up as the knitting progresses and at the end.

I bought 15 skeins, based on yardage calculations, you know, what the pattern specified and how many yards are in each skein, and how many yards are in each skein of this yarn. Plus 2 skeins because I needed to add 8 inches to each sleeve. Plus 2 balls for insurance. I know that is probably overkill but I did not want to run out of yarn. Or have yarn nerves.

Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool [Hazel]

I used 1.8 skeins, so far, on sleeve 1. Sleeve 2 is in progress.
Based on sleeve yarn consumption, I'm guessing, and this is just a rough guess, that the front and back will each take 4 skeins. Total ~12 skeins.

The good news, if this projection is any good, is that I may finish sooner than I thought. They bad news is that I may have overbought by 3 skeins.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not bad - you can make a scarf! I'm glad to find this post because I just ordered 14 skeins of silky wool to make a sweater for my husband and was really guessing about the yardage. I wish I could get him to wear cables...

8/22/2007 1:36 PM

 
Blogger carla said...

I do the same thing! I figure I can always find some use for it later on. There's no such thing as too much yarn.

8/23/2007 1:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home