Sunday, October 21, 2007

too late in the season for poke salad

I've been picking poke berries. [These are not the same berries because the ones I picked are picked.] I meant to take pictures but the next thing I knew my hand was covered with red drippy sticky juice. That would have been a good picture too .

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I picked berries into the paper sack that our bbq sandwiches came in. It got a little soggy, well, a lot soggy so I let it rest in a plant pot and cut down a gallon water jug for more pickings. I'm guessing I ended up with a little over a gallon of berries total. Then I cooked them up with vinegar as in The Joy of Spinning by Marilyn Kluger (checked out from the library recently). For a couple of hours. It didn't smell to great, but I'm not sure whether it was the berries or the vinegar.

We stopped at Dollar Tree after church to pick up a $1.00 colander. I use my soap pans for dyeing so I'm stocked up in that respect but I didn't want to use my regular colander or my jelly bag.

So then I dyed some roving and yarn. A test really but I think it turned out well:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The yarn is some leftover Regia sock yarn, formerly blues and grays, and some kp bare yarn.

The fiber is spinning up nicely. It felted just a touch but with some pre-drafting to loosen it up, it's fine.

The stems look interesting too. I wonder whether they would dye fiber?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Daddy said...

Jeri, it's beautiful! I'm curious to see how fast it is - I haven't ever tried it, but I always thought poke was fugitive.

10/22/2007 7:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeri - I found my way here from Spinning Spider Jenny's Blog - and just read all 4 links that she mentioned in her last post - what did you use as mordant?

I have lots and lots of poke berries and llamas - the llamas don't eat them (and shouldn't) but they walk through them and for a while in the fall until the next rain anyway they are a beautiful pink. I have dyed with them before and have found it to be fugitive - but I would think the right mordant could make some difference.

Thanks for the great posts and lovely pics!

2/03/2008 3:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home